One of my favorite places in the whole world is my kitchen.
I’ve said this before, but I was never a good cook. Only in the past five or six years have I started taking an interest in cooking and how simple creating a delicious meal can actually be.
Tweet This: I truly believe that if you want to get control of your health and feel good consistently, you must eat at home more often than you dine out.
For those who find that concept just the least bit intimidating, let me help you get started.
Click the video below for my a few of my favorite kitchen essentials. Not only are they inexpensive, they make cooking a lot easier. So with these five tools, a few pots and pans and a handful of healthy recipes, you’ll be on your way to healthy meals in no time!
1. Blender: You don’t have to break the bank on a powerful, high quality blender. Get the best one you can afford and use it to mix up smoothies, nut milks, salad dressings, soups and more!
2. Chef’s Knife: Whether you choose a heavier German model, a lighter Japanese one or a hybrid, this item will be a bit more of an investment. The good news is you don’t need an entire block of knives. Just one or two good chef’s knives will do the trick. Try a few out and choose the one that feels best in your hand.
3. Microplane Zester: Professional chefs sing the praises of these things. They zest anything from citrus to fresh, whole spices and even garlic and are the perfect way to add finishing flavors to anything you make.
4. Mandoline: I don’t know how I ever lived without one of these. They’re a quick way to throw together a salad or thinly slice difficult-to-cut root veggies like beets, sweet potatoes and fennel.
5. Steam Basket: This is one of the first cooking tools I ever owned. For the first year I spent learning how to cook, I steamed every single vegetable imaginable. And truth be told, when I’m feeling time-crunched in the kitchen, I still do.
Which of the above tools are you missing in your kitchen and what are your own favorite kitchen cooking essentials? Share with me in the comments below.